Quilting – Week 2

Last Wednesday was our second class and we got a ton accomplished! I took photos in class this time to document all the steps.

Hung up in our classroom is a large piece of batting, and we learned very quickly this is a very useful tool.  You throw your fabric pieces up there and they just stick  – super helpful when piecing together large sections so you’re able to see the full picture. First up was to layout all the squares we finished up for homework.

Sidenote: the batting had lots of stray thread that has accumulated over time (so that’s what all that messy looking stuff is).

We then cut our two other fabrics to finish off the center. Cutting is kind of boring, so you won’t see any pictures of that 🙂 The bold pattern pieces around the edge was the first fabric I picked out, and then the fuschia and polka dot fabrics were chosen to compliment the pattern. So here’s a picture of all the individual pieces laid out in the finished pattern. Cool, right?

To begin sewing together we started in the top left corner. The strips are all sewn together diagonally. So in the corner there are three individual pieces – you sew the triangle piece to the square polka dot, then you sew that to the other triangle piece. You do that for each diagonal row until you have 6 strips. The pictures below shows me sewing two of the pieces from the second row together and then the first two diagnal strips completed.

Once all the strips are completed you start to sew those together, starting with the corner and working your way down. Here’s a photo showing the corner and second row pinned together ready to be sewn. You always sew right sides together.

I flipped the corner piece up to double check everything lined up.

To make things a little easier during this process we sewed the first three strips together, then started in the other corner to sew those three strips together. We ended up with two large pieces to sew together instead of continuously adding on to one growing piece. This made it much easier to manage. Here’s a shot of the three strips together and a closeup.

Voila! I was actually happy that most of my seams lined up. There were a few that were a little off, but unless you get your face right up in there you would never notice. Now, all that’s left is to add the corners.

Pinned and ready to go!

YAY! I finished!

I still can’t believe how much we’ve accomplished in just two classes (and one afternoon of homework). Sabrina and I were both in shock! In this week’s class we should finish the entire front 🙂 With Josh’s birthday festivities this weekend neither Sabrina or I got to our homework, so we’re gonna have to get that finished up by tonight. We just need to cut the rest of the fabric for the border. Here’s another look at the finished product.

I have a blue fabric that I’m using where you see green above. Hoping it works with everything so far – fingers crossed! –DP

Advertisements

Sweet baby bag!

My brother, Adam and his wife, Jess are having a boy in the fall and I wanted to make them a “cool” baby bag that Adam wouldn’t be embarrassed to carry. Here’s the pattern I used: Butterick B4560 baby bag.  So this is what I came up with- (finished size roughly 14″X 13″ X 5″).

Materials needed:

  • GOOD Scissors
  • “Rolling Scissors”
  • Sewing Machine
  • all-purpose thread
  • velcro (iron on)
  • 1′ of .25″ elastic (I used an elastic “stay put” goody headband – perfect tension)
  • buckle (optional)
  • 1 1/2 yards cotton blend fabric
  • 1 1/4 yards cotton blend (lining)
  • 1  yard fusibile interfacing (pattern suggest fleece interfacing- but I didn’t want it to be “puffy”)
  • 1.25 yards “duckcloth” (option I added to give flap, bottom, sides more weight)


cut out all pieces.


sew exterior pieces together.


close-up (side pocket- elastic inserted into casting)


close-up (side pocket with velcro)


lining with duckcloth (duckcloth for bottom and front/back panels only)


place lining inside-out into exterior bag

lining inside exterior of bag


inside lining pockets -with velcro


strap with loop sewn to buckle


pad for strap (velcro to close)


velcro on flap to outside front pocket

-AY